At Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts, we are building a culture of sacred music.
The liturgy is at the heart of our campus community. All students participate in the choir, and they have the opportunity to join the extracurricular Chant Schola or Polyphony Choir. Meanwhile, they study the theory, practice, philosophy, and theology of sacred music in the classroom over four semesters.
The result of this labor is what you will find on the recording of our album Deo Gratias. This recording was made in our campus chapel, and it is representative of what might be heard there at any Sunday Mass. Although many of our students have no prior background in music, they all learn the basics of sacred music needed to bring a spirit of transcendence to the liturgy. Our hope is that they will carry this experience of transcendence with them into their parishes and contribute to a revival of beautiful and reverent liturgy across the country.
Other Magdalen College Recordings include:
What Child Is This
On Jordan’s Bank
1. Alleluia, Alleluia, Give Thanks
2. O Breathe on Me, O Breath of God
3. Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence (arr. Michael Girard ‘15)
4. Ave Maria (Jacob Archadelt)
5. Ubi Caritas (Maurice Durufle)
6. Victimae Paschali Laudes
7. Sicut Cervus (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
8. Ave Verum Corpus (William Byrd)
9. Exultate Justi (Ludovico da Viadana)
10. Crux Fidelis
11. Jesus My Lord, My God, My All
12. Immaculate Mary
13. Moscow Alleluia
14. St Michael Prayer (arr. Paul Jernberg\David Clayton)
For translations of the non-English pieces, please visit our translations page.