Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts is grateful to have Anthony Esolen on faculty. In addition to teaching each semester, he also serves as the college’s Writer-in-Residence. For the past academic year, Dr. Esolen wrote four books as well as many articles, interviews and podcasts.
His books for 2019-2020 include:
- The Hundredfold: Songs for the Lord (Ignatius, 2019)
- How the Church Has Changed the World, Volume II (Magnificat, 2020)
- Sex and the Unreal City: The Demolition of the Western Mind (Ignatius, 2020)
- The Last Gospel (John 1:1-18) (Angelico Press, forthcoming in 2021)
He also contributed to the following books:
- The Wit and Wisdom of Father George Rutler (Sophia Institute Press, 2020)
- Because of Our Fathers (Ignatius, 2020)
- Thirty Poems to Memorize Before It’s Too Late (Circe Institute, 2020)
Dr. Esolen wrote 114 articles for Catholic publications such as Crisis Magazine, Touchstone Magazine, Magnificat, Inside the Vatican and First Things. He has been interviewed numerous times by organizations such as Catholic Culture, Forty Days for Life and the Catholic Conversation.
This academic year, Dr. Esolen will continue writing and will also teach Sophomore Writing, an Honors Course on The Faerie Queene, and classes in the Philosophy and Humanities Sequence at Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts.
Dr. Esolen is also featured in Jasper, Magdalen College’s online magazine for families. You can read past issues and subscribe to get issues in your inbox.
The college’s podcasts, From the Summit, include many with Dr. Esolen. You can listen and subscribe.
Dr. Esolen received his undergraduate degree from Princeton University. His master’s degree and Ph.D. in Renaissance literature are from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dr. Esolen has translated Dante’s Divine Comedy, Lucretius’ On the Nature of Things, and Torquato Tasso’s Jerusalem Delivered. His books, on such topics as culture, beauty and literature, include Out of the Ashes: Rebuilding American Culture, Real Music: A Guide to the Timeless Hymns of the Church and Nostalgia: Going Home in a Homeless World. His articles regularly appear in such journals and online magazines as Magnificat, Crisis Magazine, Touchstone and First Things.